Re: [OM] OT: Significant Medical News

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Significant Medical News
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 07:51:45 +1100
An ethicist should be prepared to go down any road - but they will arrive at
different destinations of course. Philosophy is no discipline for the fearful
(or even the cautious sometimes).
What I find interesting is that for some time, interesting things have been
going on in vet, science - in treatment of arthritic knees for instance, it has
been possible for some time to extract fat from a mammal, spin down autologous
stem cells from it and inject them into an arthritic joint to repair joints.
Seems to work quite well. Not done for humans yet? A similar scenario occurred
with knee arthroscopies many years ago when humans were still undergoing
radical joint operations but large animal vets were using fibre optics and
keyholes. Eventually it was decided that if it was good enough for million
dollar racehorses, then maybe we could risk it on footballers.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com

Author/Publisher: