[OM] Computer Woes

Subject: [OM] Computer Woes
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:43:28 -0500
PESO:

I haven't commented on photos lately because I can't get to them.  My main
computer is tied up with LR.  After reading Peter Krogh's latest book on
digital management, I decided to divide my photos into two LR catalogs
instead of one huge one.  I made one for Archive photos and kept the
original catalog for Current photos.  That part went fine.  Then I had to
remove all of the Archive photos from the the Current catalog.  LR worked
on it for two days, I left it working when I went to Charleston.  When I
came back it was 88% finished, but I got a notice that my computer was
dangerously low on memory and was shutting down.  I had to start all over
again.  Now it's been working for three days and is 85% finished.  I have
shut down everything else on the computer, including e-mail.  I'm using my
little Acer netbook for e-mail.  LR is using 99% of the physical memory -
8GB.  I had over 500,000 photos in the one catalog and am trying to remove
175,000.  I guess I should have done it in smaller amounts.

The Acer is too small and slow to look at photos, but I'll catch up someday.

Any suggestions besides throwing the computer out the window would be
greatly appreciated.  I can't even download the photos I took in
Charleston!!

Tina
..
--