Re: [OM] ()M) A question of ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] ()M) A question of ethics
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 05:55:02 +1300

I went to the Wanaka market. Pictures to be posted later on my PESO
pages on TOPE2.

Getting up at 6am does not agree with me !

The day
started out cold and overcast, but warmed up, and there was no
appreciable wind all day.

There was (in my opinion) good foot traffic;
50 - 60 % elderly locals and NZ tourists, the remainder being 30% Asian
and Indian tourists and Australian, Brit, USA, EU tourists.

I didn't
sell a thing, and it wasn't price as the decisions to not buy were made
long before price entered the decision train. Only ONE customer asked
about price.

Clearly it's format and content; maybe mainly format as I
had lots of compliments about the photos but not necessarily from
potential buyers. My format is mainly 'A4', with larger prints 8 x 12
and 12 x 18 inches.

Ian Leeden Professional ex camera shop owner sold
about $1000 worth; not all in $10 chunks as at least I photo was for
$100.

His costs are low; he now shoots entirely film 6 x 17, and
prints and processes it in his own darkroom. He prints on Fuji Crystal
Archive paper which costs him less than $10 ( I forget the exact amount)
per square metre, which converts to about $1.25 per print. He sells them
sleeved, un-matted, for $10 each for his regular size with larger sizes
priced at $20 and $100.

My digital prints cost me from $8 to $20 to
have done and the matting costs from $21 to $28 each depending on size,
so for each one my base cost excluding all travel etc. costs range from
about $29 to about $48.

He said he sold his 6 x 9 gear and Hasselblad
as they were not paying their way. Sells mainly 6 x 17 prints. His
sleeving costs him nothing as it is written off from his shop which he
has quit.

Displays many Wanaka prints when in Wanaka, Queenstown
prints when in Queenstown, etc.

The guy next to me was selling
jewellery he made from various kinds of sea shell. He had MANY finished
pieces. If Ian sold $1000 worth, this guy sold 3 - 5 times more. A
google search for Soper Paua will find him. The quality was superb.

guy on the other side was selling racks full of womens' coats etc. He
did OK.

He gave me the contact for the Queenstown market; Jasmine 027
4494922

I think that in the short term at least I will create 6 x 17
images using my E3 and tripod, and use Hugin to make small panorama
shots, and crop to the desired dimensions using the crop feature of
Faststone.

How to get them printed is another and serious matter as my
usual printer ( Photo and Video in Merivale) doesn't have pano shots as
part of their print menu.

I DO have a Canon S9000 printer (which I got
virtually for a song) which I have not fired up seriously. Somebody in
this list told me I should use encapsulating paper in this printer but I
have not investigated availability, sizes and price for the paper.

Nor
do I have any idea how I might arrange 6 x 17 format images side by side
for economical printing. I need to check all this, and more, out.

Something to consider when I'm on my busman's holiday.

Brian Swale