Re: [OM] ()M) A question of ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] ()M) A question of ethics
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 15:20:57 -0500
What Ken said.  I gave up long ago trying to produce prints from an
inkjet.  I either had to use very expensive manufacturer's inks and
papers or do ridiculous amounts of testing and calibration for anything
less expensive.  But chemical prints from digital images work as well as
they ever did for film and are much cheaper.  The trick there is to
control the process yourself.  Pick a supplier who will print "as is"...
no color adjustments or sharpening allowed.  You do it all ahead of
time.  The only printing I do today is an occasional 4x6 or 5x7 print
and sometimes a 4x6 or 5x7 cropped from an image produced for a much
larger print just to check (mostly) the sharpening.

As Ken said, pick a larger print size and paste your smaller images into
the larger one.  Print them all as one image and, using a good paper
cutter, cut them apart.

As I was writing this I wondered if FastStone has the capability to
produce this array of prints on a single, larger image.  I think it does
by using the "Contact Sheet Builder" under the "Create" menu. See the
FastStone Tutorial PDF for how to use it.  There are two examples there
where the first is a very detailed set of instructions to create what it
was first intended for... a "contact sheet" of thumbnails.  But he gives
a second example more like what you're trying to do where he used it to
create a page for a sales brochure for selling his house.

I also wondered if there were any practical size limits to what the app
can work with.  The app expects the output page size to be specified in
pixels and has a 10,000 pixel limit on both height and width.  But I
think that's not a problem for you.  At 300 dpi that gives you 33.3" or
40" at 250 dpi.  Good luck.

Chuck Norcutt