Re: [OM] ()M) A question of ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] ()M) A question of ethics
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 03:16:57 +1300

Hello all,

It's 2.50 in the morning and I have to go back to bed
soon before I start a long 2-day drive to go to my son's wedding.

Thank you all for your input and ideas. Too much right now for me to
respond to individually.

Format vs size.

In my considered opinion
from observing at first hand the response to the buying public (and I'd
say that most if not all were NOT discerning photographic buyers), the
format has been a larger part of the sales choice - to my surprise. My
prints may not be astounding, but they are not too bad and many people
complimented me on how nice they found them to look at. Without asking -
looking at the - the price label however, they did not buy.

I'll have
to see the quality at first hand myself, but from what I've seen on
screen I'd suggest that the buyers at these markets will not be put off
by quality.

>From some comments (several) that came my way, I concluded
that my ability to sharpen my jpegs using FastStone by far exceeded the
ability of my two key competitors/friends to produce sharp prints from
film.

The potential buyers were disappointed in the film-source print
result.

Some DID buy 6 x 17 format, of which I had none.

Size? 6 x
17, I'm thinking of from 450 to 600 mm. You convert; I'm too tired.

Reason for 'throwing so much money at this' which, yes I did, was to
have enough of a display to justify being there.

A large part due to
frustration at being nearly quite unable to persuade ANY gallery to hang
my work, and being desperately interested in sharing what I like
creating.

Entry costs to these markets is not high IMO, $ 15 - 20 per
event.

There IS a difference between a 1-day $1000 sales result, and
my $0.00. Enough of a difference for me to sit up and take notice, and
think about it. And I did think that my photos were as or more beautiful
than many of theirs are. So - I think about it.

Thanks again. It may
be 3 - 4 days before I'm on line again. I HAVE saved all your valuable
comments in a text-file for recall.

Brian