[OM] Chinatown Parade

Subject: [OM] Chinatown Parade
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 09:43:04 -0600
My entire set of Chinatown New Year's Parade photos is here:

This is a very large gallery (8 or 9 Zone-10 pages).

My understanding is that the Chinatown in Hawaii is one of the larger ones,
at least in the USA.  Chinese are not quite as significant an ethnicity
today as they were when Hawaii was a kingdom, at least in terms of numbers,
but everyone is Chinese when it is time to celebrate the Chinese New Year
(we share holidays in the USA, and nowhere more than in Hawaii).  It's fun
to photograph in Chinatown.  I don't get down there enough.

My father-in-law said that the Chinese were smart because they married
Hawaiians and acquired property early on in that way.  (The Japanese sent
home for brides rather than marry locally.)  That's probably why the
Chinese in Hawaii have influence not entirely warranted by their sheer
numbers.  They say that most ethnic Hawaiians probably have at least some
Chinese blood.

Joel W.