Re: [OM] OT--Speaker rebuild question

Subject: Re: [OM] OT--Speaker rebuild question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 14:01:30 -0500
I think you should listen more carefully for distorted sound rather than
comments.  If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Besides, after you get old enough you won't hear it even when it isn't
quite up to snuff.  At age 19 I could hear to 21.5 kHz.  At age 70 it's
about 12 kHz.  It seems to me that you don't know the difference without
instruments and the instruments don't help since I don't know of
anything to restore my ears back to 21.5 kHz.  You're not 70 but you
might be surprised to learn how your hearing frequency range has
diminished as you've gotten older.  Age 19 is about the peak and it goes
downhill from there.

I used to have some JBL 14s and small dome tweeters installed in
Barzilay cabinets that I modified to adjust the port sizes to the
cabinet volume and speakers some 40 years ago.  I gave them to the buyer
of my Woburn house since I didn't have space in the new house for all
the cabinetry.  What I kept was some small AR speakers (8"?) inherited
from my brother-in-law which I had re-coned in a shop in Stoneham.
They, along with a supplementary, powered 10" sub-woofer and some old
small (6"?) Sony speakers (of unknown origin) make up the surround sound
system of my TV.  At age 70 I doubt that I could hear the difference of
anything better.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt