Re: [OM] Fuji secret sauce?

Subject: Re: [OM] Fuji secret sauce?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 14:20:09 -0600
> I don't know.  The death of Olympus announced around 2004 upon the manifest
> failure of the E-1 seems to have been premature.

Canon finally recalled the product (and marketing) managers that they
had on staff over at Olympus. Judging from the dearth of new products
from Canon, they should have left them there. Maybe they're getting
reassigned to SONY.

The E-1 was not in itself a failure. Not having an 8MP version of the
E-1 was a DISASTER.

As to the death of Olympus, well, they sure went into a coma. At least
the patient is upright and eating, but is still on financial
life-support. The Japanese business "system" is based on pride. It's
something that we Americans can learn from. We're run by MBA types
that count beans but could care less what those beans are. Japanese
businesses, like Olympus, are proud of their name and history. For
Olympus to abandon imaging would be almost unthinkable. Minolta didn't
abandon the camera division until it had already sold itself out.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx