Re: [OM] Errrrr.... nevermind

Subject: Re: [OM] Errrrr.... nevermind
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 15:47:22 -0600
On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/7/2014 6:42 AM, Paul Braun wrote:

> > I guess my thinking was that the IQ with the 14 was better than the
> 12-50?
>
> If planning to use it for some of your favorite subjects, indoor people
> with mixed lighting and high ISOs, would that
> make a difference, IF it were so?

Perhaps not.  I guess I need to do some more careful testing with what I
already have.

> It used to be true, but is, in many cases, no longer so. My guess is that
> you would need to waste a lot of time testing
> or reading reviews to determine which is better at around 14 mm - and none
> of it would be visible in your images. The
> 12-50 is a fine lens; are you seeing things you don't like in your images
> with it?
>
> Not necessarily.  I guess what was in my brain was size - I don't carry
the 12-50 often because I'm just so used to that cute little 20 on the
front and the lack of space it takes up.  Maybe I should give it a little
love and see what I can make it do.

> In the native lenses for newer, smaller formats, the main advantages of
> primes over zooms are combinations of speed,
> size and weight.
>
> That must be what my brain was saying.

> > Maybe I'll give some thought to the SWA zoom and hold off for now.  I do
> > know that I'm waiting to see what that new fast/long zoom will sell for
> and
> > how it reviews, but that will have to wait until the wife gets a new job
> or
> > hits Powerball.  Or maybe both.
>
> Big weight, size and $ and limited focal length range are not likely to be
> attractive to me.
>
> However, it will be beneficial to me when I shoot theatrical/musical
events.  I'm getting used to faux-focus-peaking, but I still find I miss
too much.  Fast AF combined with the long focal length is very attractive
to me.

> > Dangit.  Now you've gone and suggested rational thinking.  Poop.
>
> Maybe you'll thank me when you get the lens that really suits your needs?
> ;-)

Oh, sure.  Be the adult.
--

Paul Braun