Re: [OM] Errrrr.... nevermind

Subject: Re: [OM] Errrrr.... nevermind
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 16:18:38 -0600
> In the straightforward sense of measured aberrations, it's not uncommon to
> find a zoom testing better than a prime at
> the prime's focal length. In AG's world (and that of many others), where
> unquantified qualities of images, sometimes
> referred to as 'drawing' or 'rendering' are important, neither one is likely
> to be a stand out.

Hehehehe. I seem to recall that the Moose is capable of diving into
this well too.

> In the native lenses for newer, smaller formats, the main advantages of
> primes over zooms are combinations of speed,
> size and weight.

This is not new. It's been this way, from the beginning, for most non
Canon/Nikon system lenses.

I've really liked the 11-22mm lens for the E-system. It's the one lens
that I've consistently wanted since the beginning of E-Time. The
PanaLeica 25/1.4 is also on my very short list and very well might
find a permanent home on the DMC-L1.

/ ENGAGE OPINION MODE /
My deal about the m43 lenses is that there are a couple of brilliant
standouts, but mostly we're dealing with lenses with exceptional
specification and distinct look. The OM Zuikos also have a specific
and distinct look too, but I think the m43 look is sometimes "forced",
rather than organic. Not always, but often enough. Just as I can
usually identify some OM Zuiko images based on certain looks, I can
also do so with the m43 lenses. The difference being that one seems
designer. Kinda like my Picaso images--cool the first 200 times you
see it, but then you want to ask "anything else?" I think this may
have to do with camera/lens system size constraints. The farther you
get away from the "ideal" optical/mechanical dimension or distance,
the more engineering is required. The more engineering required, the
less organic it becomes. Just as the "Holga" effect in Picasa can be
overused, so can a lens "Bokeh" effect. It's like the bokeh traits in
the m43 lenses are one-trick ponies. This is in comparison to the
Fujifilm X-series lenses which have the organic look I find pleasing
and variable.
/ DISENGAGE OPINION MODE /

> Maybe you'll thank me when you get the lens that really suits your needs? ;-)

Needs or wants. And both change over time. In the OM system, my
current flavor of the month is the Zuiko 28/2.0. Last month it was the
100/2.0. Before that it was the 35-80/2.8. Before that it was the
100/2.8 for like ever. Next week it will probably be the 50/1.4. It's
all just so confusing. For at least one or two years, I almost
exclusively shot with the 24/2.8 and 200/4.

Moose, I was trying to be VERY clear about it being my opinion being
stated. No claims on facts, figures or whatever. Just a sick amount of
time spent looking at <10 Billion Images on the Intertubes. I am not
claiming my opinion to be yours, better than yours, or should be
yours. You may take the above opinion for what it is--unrational
spouting off from somebody capable of frequent mood swings.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx