[OM] Big Bend (was "Re: What I used today").

Subject: [OM] Big Bend (was "Re: What I used today").
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 16:32:42 -0600
My brother and I used to travel and photograph together for about 10 years,
coordinating spring break trips and so forth.  I still refer to his Honda
Odyssey as "Hotel O."  This kind of travel can only be done with another
family member, probably brothers only, and no females in the picture
whatsoever.

Big Bend was my first trip with said brother.  When we got to the most
God-foresakenest part of Texas, it was another 250 miles to Big Bend.

My brother had been once before, so he was actually returning to improve
his shots and knew where to be and when.

The park accommodations were definitely over-subscribed, and we were once
chased out of a pull-off when I had just drifted into blissful sleep.  We
eventually blended among the cars parked at the lodge.  We did things like
that quite a bit.  The stars were so thick in the sky that I believe you
could find your way by star light.  I don't believe we ever bothered
anyone because we would arrive after dark and blend in, and we were gone
way before dawn.  Most of our hiking was done in the dark in getting to
vantage points before dawn.

A day hike to the South Rim was rewarded at the end of the day by a soak in
the hot springs at the abandoned resort down by the river.

I read later about the state park and vowed to go there next time.  I'd
just like to get back there again in any way, shape, or form.  It's a long
ways away.  Even visitors coming from Dallas looked shell-shocked from the
endless miles just getting there.

A trip there combines well with a visit to Guadalupe NP and Carlsbad
caverns, with obligatory gag shots among the aliens in Roswell, New Mexico.

Joel W.