Re: [OM] The Black Hat boys

Subject: Re: [OM] The Black Hat boys
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 18:11:45 -0500
Thanks to all who commented.  Making the shot was not easy since, when
my chair was pushed back against the wall, it wasn't far enough back for
me to stand up straight.  I had the screen pulled down for viewing and
had the camera raised high over my head.  I was in such an unstable
position that I wasn't completely sure what I was getting.  But it
worked out well with a lot of hand painting of masks to recover what the
software couldn't recognize.  I thought about trying Hugin as an
alternate for the pano but realized the real problem was people moving
between shots.  PS got all the geometry correct but couldn't fix all the
people.

I've been impressed with the full auto mode on the E-M5.  This is only
the second time I've used it.  The camera decided that f/3.5, ISO 1600
and 1/25 second was the right mix.  I had to pull down some highlights
and boost some shadows but otherwise that's what the camera produced on
its own.  That's daylight color balance with no color adjustment in a
mix of weak window light, plus incandecents and fluorescents.  Not too bad.

When I first looked at the EXIF data I saw "Program" and was concerned
that I had set the mode switch incorrectly.  But, no, full auto mode
gets logged as Program for some reason.  Good thing.  Had it really been
in Program mode the shots would likely not have been in focus since, on
other than auto, I have focus removed from the shutter button.

Chuck Norcutt