Re: [OM] Tope 3, photo of other list member

Subject: Re: [OM] Tope 3, photo of other list member
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 15:53:53 -0800
On 2/9/2014 3:10 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I think Dean's forehead went a bit flat with the highlight suppression.
>    I think I'd choose something half way between even if it was a bit
> bright... after all that was the light.

Fine with me.

Generally when I do a different version of a posted image, I lean toward going
beyond what might be any individual's
taste. It's mostly exercises in what's possible, as opposed to a finished
product.

In this case, I was specifically interested in how AG's new favorite camera
handles wide DR harsh lighting, so
recovering as much detail in the highlights was more important to me than the
'best' portrait.

I'm reasonably impressed with the Galaxy's JPEG engine. Although some pure
whites in the background are well and truly
blown, all the detail in Dean's forehead is still there, albeit compressed at
the top so not visible without
intervention. Likewise, shadows can be brought up and look decent, which you
didn't mention.

I'd like to see an iP5s shot with HDR on of the same subject. It takes two
quick shots with different exposures and
merges them.

Eye Five Ess Moose