Re: [OM] swans

Subject: Re: [OM] swans
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 22:01:33 -0500
Mute swans in the US are considered an invasive species that threaten
our native birds, other wildlife and aquatic vegetation.  They used to
be protected by a treaty between the US and Canada to protect migratory
waterfowl along the "Atlantic Flyway".  But they were declared an
invasive species and lost that protection about 10 years ago.  The US
Fish and Wildlife service is getting aggressive over control measures
and urging the states to take measures to significantly reduce the
population.
<http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Blackwater/what_we_do/invasivespecies.html>
In some states they are hunted in extended hunting seasons or simply
killed outright.  In Massachusetts the preferred solution (in 2006) was
egg addling. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goose_egg_addling>

Chuck Norcutt