Re: [OM] OT: 27 Staggering New Pictures Of The Somerset Levels Floods

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: 27 Staggering New Pictures Of The Somerset Levels Floods
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:09:41 -0500
40 years is a drop in the statistical bucket.  Flip the coin long enough
and you'll eventually get 10 heads in a row... or whatever number you
choose.  In the US one can buy flood insurance from the government via
but not from private insurers.  The rate that's paid is based on flood
zone maps which purport to show the probability of being flooded in a
given period of time.  The flood insurance program is deeply in the red
since the flood probability projections developed by the US Army Corps
of Engineers are in significant error and further complicated by the US
Congress's unwillingness to charge a break even value for the insurance.
  Which ticks me off because I end up paying the taxes for those foolish
folks who choose to live in the flood plains without paying their fair
share.

Chuck Norcutt