[OM] Brand Shift - The Sequel

Subject: [OM] Brand Shift - The Sequel
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:53:26 -0500 (EST)
The fuji cams just handle well with the SS dials and aperture
rings--feel like real cams and
not computers with lenses attached. The lenses seem to have very nice
rendering as well or is it the lens/cam combo---dunno. Still FF A7(r)
is not that much bigger and perform better in many circumstances and
MFT can be quite small and horse cam friendly with large stable of
lenschoices.
X-trans design still bothers a bit.

CFA's have trade offs by nature. Xtrans designed so the "green" raw
channel has more coverage but less positional symmetry than in a Bayer
sensor
and as a direct result there is less high-frequency luminance
"miscalculations" in the interpolation, giving lower noise in raw
conversion.
The larger B to B and R to R distances necessitate a large chroma
smoothing radius resulting in "watercolor effects or artifacts--balance
seems different with different converters. Accuraw allows one to adjust
the balance though have never used it.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/software-for-nikon-dslrs/software-news/accuraw-11-update.html

I was hoping that DXO with all their optics Ph.D's would use POCS
algorithm to minimize the complicatons of the uneven channel coverage
but they haven't bitten on that yet and don't support Fuji in DXO
optics pro. I think they could have the very best converter if they
wanted to develop it.

Still would very much enjoy using fuji gear I think and the above
concerns are not that dramatic. Certainly have admired the images here.

Mike