Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - new shots up

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - new shots up
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:47:44 -0800
On 2/11/2014 1:35 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> There is a whole drop-down of blurs, as I recall. The trick is deciding
>> which one to use, and properly selecting the area to blur.
> This, I believe, is where layers and masking and stuff comes into play.

There's a lot of experience and art to it.

For example, it seems like it would be easy to create a mask on the layer to
not be blurred (subject) and simply blur a
layer below it (background). But if they are quite different in color and/or
brightness, most blur processes will spread
the subject into the background area outside the mask.

With Gaussian blur, I use an inverted selection from the mask to delete subject
area from the layer to be blurred before
doing so. Properly done, this prevents edge oddnesses.

Different Blur choices have different effects. And now CC adds more Blur
capability.

Masking is the really difficult part for many images. Hair, leaves, etc. can be
very tricky. There are plug-ins supposed
to do selection magic, that I've not as yet tried. The illustrations for
OnOne's Perfect Mask make it look like magic.

Masked Moose