[OM] Nathan's PAD 14/2/2014: connected

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 14/2/2014: connected
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 18:09:54 +0100
Alicante is not a big city, we have about 350,000 inhabitants. But even then,
we have a mini-Chinatown. No parades or lunar New Year celebrations, but some
groceries, restaurants, hairdressers and other shops that are more or less
concentrated in a part of downtown. Walking through that area the other day
provided me with this street scene:

http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3077740755&k=2BB2XJr&lb=1&s=O

I think the origin of the Chinese community here is in the business of
producing and distributing the fake designer bags and sunglasses and the cheap
toys that are sold to tourists on the beaches and along the main promenade. In
the neighbourhood where I took the picture, and in some other, even lower-rent
neighbourhoods, there are large warehouses distributing those goods. The
counterfeit designer stuff is just a small part of the business, most of it are
legitimate cheap household items, clothing, toys, etc.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain