Re: [OM] PESO: salt mountain

Subject: Re: [OM] PESO: salt mountain
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 16:14:20 -0500
That is not the worst news about Tropicana or any other processed orange
juice:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/california-woman-sues-pepsicos-tropicana-alleging-deceptive-advertising/story?id=15394357

"The lawsuit comes on the heels of news that trace amounts of the fungicide
carbendazim was recently found in some Minute Maid orange
juice<http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/01/10/fungicide-found-in-orange-juice/>
made
by Coca Cola and juices of some of its competitors.

The juices in question were made of oranges imported from Brazil, where
that fungicide is legal, and Coca Cola alerted the FDA of the trees had
been sprayed with the chemical.

The FDA found no chemicals in Tropicana brands and the company has
subsequently said it will use only Florida oranges going forward.

ABCNews.com reported last month that many brands of pasteurized orange
juice contain flavor packs. Similar flavorings are used in a variety of
foods, including alcoholic beverages, chewing gum and as a solvent in
perfumes.<http://abcnews.go.com/Health/orange-juice-moms-secret-ingredient-worries/story?id=15154617>

The Food and Drug Administration <http://www.fda.gov/Food/default.htm> does
not require companies to add flavor packs to the labeling of pasteurized
juice (which includes the from-concentrate as well as the
not-from-concentrate versions), according to the citrus industry."

and http://chicagoist.com/2013/02/10/simply_orange_is_anything_but.php

We have stopped drinking orange juice.  We process our own organic tomato
and pear and apple and grape juices.  I think that will be the only way to
get pure juices in the future.

Tina

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Chuck Norcutt <
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do you have "citrus greening" in Spain?
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_greening>  It's well established in
> Florida now and has begun showing up in California.  People here are
> seriously concerned that the citrus industry in Florida may be totally
> destroyed in not so many years.
>
> But until then a Tropicana train loaded with oranges rumbles by our
> place blowing its horn loudly every morning about 5:30am.  It's on its
> way to the Tropicana orange juice factory about 8 miles south of us.
> Later in the day it makes its way back carrying juice and other orange
> products.  Tropicana owns the tracks and their trains are the only traffic.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 2/16/2014 11:57 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> > Or lemons. I hate gardening in general, but having my own lemon tree
> > is a luxury I never had before moving here 6 years ago--it is just
> > wonderful. Lemons are such a useful, versatile fruit: they go into
> > Gin & Tonic, Rum & Coke, some visiting children last week even made
> > lemonade--fancy that!
> --

Tina Manley