Re: [OM] projecting images on to a big screen

Subject: Re: [OM] projecting images on to a big screen
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:53:46 -0800
On 2/17/2014 4:40 PM, John Hudson wrote:
> ... Paul, thanks for that. If the long side is 1024 pixels I assume the
> short side should be 768 pixels. Does the pixels per inch matter at all?

PPI is irrelevant here.

On 2/17/2014 6:57 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:
> I have some recommendations on image projection, hope it is helpful.
>
> If the image is projected through a laptop, make sure the laptop's dispaly
> port resolution is set to exactly as the native resolution of the projector,
> it is to make sure you get the right aspect ratio and better image quality.

With recent projectors and laptops, using HDMI, the laptop should automagically
set the correct resolution. At least
mine does.

> If the image size is 900x600 there will be blank space with any type of
> projector. 1024x768 is 4:3 and 1920x1080 is 16:9 while your image is 3:2 but
> it may not matter much.
>
> Since your image is 900x600 the laptop computer will resize your image to
> fit to the display resolution. Make sure the viewing software has good
> resize algorithm, with IrfanView you need to check the "Use resample for
> fitting" under View/Display options to get the best result.

I disagree here. I prefer to not allow resizing and allow the image to be
slightly smaller, but clearer. With a
projector with zoom lens and/or if distance to wall/screen is adjustable, those
have been better ways of adjusting image
size than upsampling, in my rather limited experience..

The up sizing algorithms in our Samsung Blu-Ray player are much better than
those in my slightly older Samsung TV (which
is projection, but inside a box). But I've not seen great upsizing results for
still image viewers on my computer. I
wonder how a DVD slide show on the BU player would look.

When I have done something similar, I have re-downsampled the images from
original size to max size for the display
device. FastStone does a good job of doing this in batch.

Projected Moose