[OM] E-M1 ergonomics, was: Question for E-M1 owners:

Subject: [OM] E-M1 ergonomics, was: Question for E-M1 owners:
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:42:21 -0500
I kept thinking about Don's reply about reaching the AEl/AFL button on
the E-M1.  He says "the right bottom of the body will not sit in the
heel of my palm with my thumb on the playback button".  I think Don
misspoke here in that my question was about the AEL/AFL button which on
the E-M1 is roughly where the playback button is on the E-M5.  So I
assume he actually meant AEL/AFL.

My first thought was that I don't shoot with the camera resting in the
heel of my palm.  But went back and tried it and discovered that I do.
And while paying attention to that noticed that was one of the problems.
  Reaching for the playback button in the E-M5 also removes the palm
from the bottom of the camera.  It's a bit of a stretch for me and the
camera becomes less well supported.  That's why I moved focus control to
the fn2 button.

Then I asked myself, how do I do this with the Canon 5D?  Do I also have
to remove my palm from the bottom right corner of the camera?  The
answer is no. The reason is that the button used on the 5D is much more
to the right side of the camera and fairly evenly behind the shutter
button on the back of the camera.  Re-examining the E-M1 I see that the
fn1 button is roughly in the same place.  At first I thought it was in
the same position as the menu button on the E-M5 which is a bit low for
thumb operation.  It did displace the menu button but it's up a little
higher which is good.  So I still have hopes for the ergonomics on the E-M1.

Chuck Norcutt