Re: [OM] Messing with flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Messing with flash
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 07:54:23 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I probably shot a dozen or so variations each of three different
>settings/subjects.  The current discussion of flash sent me back to have
>another look with fresh eyes at the ones I thought were the most successful:
>
>http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=11470
>
>Thoughts?  I would appreciate your criticism.  The thing that is
>frustrating for me is that there was so much experimentation involved that
>I have no basis for repeatability at this point.  I would just have to go
>at it again.  Plus, the bare bulb is a bit unpredictable and very dependent
>on the room, distance, height.  So many factors!

     Orchid 2 and Orchid 3 are very good, especially the latter as the light
amount of shadow highlights the texture of the flowers.  The backlighting of
Orchid 1 highlights the veining of the petals, but some minor fill flash
projected from the lower left or bottom would overcome the harsh graduation of
the shadows and bring out the textures.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson