Re: [OM] Messing with flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Messing with flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:27:43 -0500
No, I don't find it harsh at all.  I think your flash work was perfectly
fine but your choice of background should be re-examined.  You've ended
up with two subjects with one competing with the other.

Just getting the background out of focus isn't always enough.  Clone out
the bright bits in the background and you'll see a significant
improvement.  One of my earliest photography lessons is that the
brightest part of the photo automatically becomes what attracts the eye.
The bright bits attract the eye and then become the subject whether you
wanted that or not.

As to flash being not repeatable it's only because you're not measuring
it.  You can easily measure the ambient light with your camera's meter
or any other meter.  Measuring flash requires a flash meter... something
that can measure a bright 1/50,000 second burst.  Get yourself a flash
meter that can simultaneously measure both flash and ambient and report
the percentage contributed by flash and you'll be good to go for
repeatability.  But if you're using multiple lights measure each light
independently (to know the balance between them) and then measure the
total light for the final exposure.

Without the flash meter, if you're experimenting and find something you
like then record the distances and angles, flash power and type of
diffuser along with the camera exposure info.  Only then will you be
able to repeat it.

Dr. No-Competing-Bright-Bits