[OM] Messing with flash

Subject: [OM] Messing with flash
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 18:02:49 -0500 (EST)
JW writes:
>>I probably shot a dozen or so variations each of three different
>>settings/subjects.  The current discussion of flash sent me back to
have
>>another look with fresh eyes at the ones I thought were the most
successful:

>>http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=11470

First of all, very nice Phals and the Cattleya is gorgeous. I think you
got the distances/aperture just right to get optimal dof yet a nice
background.  Perhaps the
background in the catt shot is a bit busier.  I did not find any exif
data so wonder what aperture, FL used.  In the first shot,  I find
myself straining to see the beautiful detail in the Callus
area.  T'were mine I'd think about cloning out the teeny brownish areas
in the second.
  I see what you mean with interesting bokeh with the tree as
background, but I see Dr  NCBB's point.  Wonder how it would look with
he background selected and the highlights trimmed a tad.

Your larger background at the chosen distances  work well.  I often
used window light but the background is too small and close so have to
use long FL and focus stacking at large apertures to
keep the background  from becoming distracting.

Mike