Re: [OM] (OM) Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Computers
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 03:58:45 +1300

Chuck advised;

Ah, but what happens to your apps. Your apps are
not data in the same
sense that your images, email and other documents
are. After the OS is
reinstalled the old applications must also be
reinstalled to rebuild the
registry. That requires having the
installation media or whatever
source provided the installation files
in the first place. Make sure
you know what you bargained for.

Chuck
Norcutt
//////////////////////////////

On 2/21/2014 4:25 PM,
bj@xxxxxxxxxxxx.nzwrote:

> Before I went on holiday nearly a month ago,
my computer failed - wouldn't boot at all. I finally, yesterday, took it
to a repairman of good repute, who has just reported back that the
operating system is corrupt. So he will lift the data off, reformat the
HDD, re-install XP, and re-load the data. It will be great to have it
back again. Brian

 /////////////////////////////

I understand ( I
think I do). But what alternatives, if any, do I have?.

In most
instances I have saved the install file original, so re-installation
should be possible. (But I have MANY programs installed :-( )

Can you
please respond also off-group as well as on; I get this news via the
Digest, which incorporates a delay of some hours. The sooner I can get
back to the repair-man and discuss, the better.

I know he has a major
job for a large outfit to get his head around (during the weekend)
before he tackles my machine, but nevertheless the sooner I can speak
with him the better.

Man; will I ever love to get my machine back !!!.

The wretched keyboard of this HP Pavilion dv6 just about drives me
nuts.

I DO however like the Windows 7 version of "Free-cell" though.

Brian