Re: [OM] IMGS: FLASH!! vs No Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: FLASH!! vs No Flash
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 20:36:05 -0800
On 2/22/2014 3:55 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Selectively Grainy Moose writes:
>
>>> I did try the idea Chuck (and others?) proposed, of adding back grain using
>>> PS. There are very few choices in that tool and even Gaussian distribution
>>> looked artificial to me. I used PerfectEffects, B&W, None, TMAX 400 grain,
>>> 50/50, which
>>> looks much more like film grain to me.
> That seemed like a good approach to me as well.  DXO filmpack is a
> standalone application or can be used within DXO Optics Pro.  There was
> a free version of the Filmpack "3" posted awhile back.
> The grain of any particular chosen film can be added back with by a
> fully adjustable amount.
> The current version offers more choices.
>
> http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/dxo-filmpack/available-film-looks

Well, let's see, more films for $79, less, with great quality, True Grain for
$50, or slightly fewer, but covering all
the really popular grainy B&W films, with good control and effect for $0?

Like Chuck, the times I might want to add grain are very few, so I'll stick
with free.

> I would bet SGM could come up with one that is just right with the full
> res scan.

Yeah, well, to my taste, anyway. It's never going to be as good as if it were
exposed more.

> I did a quick version with DXO but chickened out posting it.

First it really needs a good job of cleaning up the scanner noise, which isn't
that easy without losing detail. Tina
didn't sound thrilled. I thought I'd done a great job with the crucial
elements, the faces, but I chose to let the
bottom middle areas just go smooth dark. There's just no actual subject detail
there. But it may look too slick for her.

Oh Well Moose