Re: [OM] IMG: Petrognano Olives

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Petrognano Olives
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 21:41:50 -0800
On 2/13/2014 2:41 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I see I'm a few days late to the party here but I would also suggest
> something in between... put the two on different layers and, as Moose
> often says, use the opacity slider until you get what you want.

Not this time. :-) I'm not a fan of HDR. It was originally developed to
compensate for limited DR in cameras and film.

It can be useful for that, but I usually find that simply selecting the one
shot where the histogram just kisses the top
and working with that gives excellent results. This scene, for example isn't
beyond the DR of the camera.

HDR quickly became another alt process to add unnatural, sometimes artistically
successful qualities.

And, as here, it's sometimes used to add oomph to a scene, while trying not to
look too unnatural. I have no objection
to that goal, but HDR is generally just not very good at it. I find
conventional processing of one properly exposed
frame can do a better job.

Here, for example, as already mentioned, it's done a poor job of the far
distance. It's done a great job, in the first
one, with the foreground, but the middle distance is flat and unsaturated by
comparison.

I think this accomplishes the goal better than the HDR.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/PetrognanoOlives.htm>

Exactly the same thing could be done from one frame. In practice, 'twere mine,
I wouldn't go quite so far. :-)

N.D.R. Moose