Re: [OM] (OM) Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Computers
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:10:55 -0800
> There are other threats which are patched by the provider of the OS. This is
> what XP will no longer have. And I am fairly sure that most businesses will
> have migrated away from XP by the time support is discontinued.
Actually a lot of threats, perhaps a majority, come in through other
vectors like the browser. No OS "patch" can protect against a mouse
click. I understand a larger corporation migrating painfully to another
OS but it may not make sense for the majority of small businesses with a
few or one (myself) employee. Or for Brian. The only rational path for
Brian would be to purchase a full retail version of e.g. Win7pro x64 (I
did) which he would be able to take with him to a new computer. Make
sure the tech installs the full version rather the common OEM version.
Another benefit is full free support by a live person who can
communicate in your language of choice. And anyway I think that anti
virus programs will continue to support XP for the foreseeable future. I
agree that this isn't the ideal choice but is logical for many users.