Re: [OM] (OM) Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Computers
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 02:23:35 +1300

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and advice.

Linux. I put
together a Debian dual-boot system some years ago, and it was one of the
biggest wastes of my time ever. Never worked properly. Not going there
again. I don't have the curiosity, energy, or time for such adventures
any more. The Linux graphics system (forget its name) is an interesting
exercise, but for my purposes not in the same league as FastStone Image
Viewer. Not even close.

Functionality of the many apps I installed,
after computer repair. I guess I don't have any options there. It is
inevitably a case of 'suck it and see'. I think he would have warned me
if I will have to do major re-installations. I should know soon enough.
:-(

Getting a new box/larger HDD. Not likely in the forseeable future.
I bought the Acer machine about ?? 8 - 10 years ago, and replaced the
HDD with one of ?? 320GB about 5 years ago. I don't know what you guys
do with your machines, but my HDD is only about 60% full, after all this
time. The motherboard is the limitation on HDD size.

I bought 2 500GB
backup drives, and the first major thing I am likely to do when I get
the box back home is to do a new BU. These drives cost me only about
$100 on Trademe, so I might buy one or two more. Soon. Only one BU drive
has been used so far - too long ago for comfort.

Change of OS? MS
system updates? I have service pack 3 installed, and since then I have
prevented all further updates, since I discovered that MS was nosing
around in the box. So, for me, loss of MS updates is a big yawn. Another
reason I gave up on updates was that when I was necessarily confined to
using dial--up, the backups would hog the line for an unacceptably long
time, so that I could not do what I needed to do, on the house phone
line.

As long as Avast ( not that it is perfect, as experience on this
laptop has shown) will keep providing 'some' security, I will stay with
XP. I detest some of the functionality of Windows 7 (this awful HP
Pavilion dv6 has given me some experience) especially the crippled
implementation of Windows Explorer, one of the most-used apps my Windows
has.

Major MS programs such as Word and Excel have become detestably
complex and obscure to use. Vital (for me) functions are hidden.

want a desktop machine, not a laptop. In 1990 I designed and made a
computer desk which has excellent user posture ( as long as my vision
permits me to use it) and it still works as well as ever. Laptops result
in user posture which is providing current and future human generations
with seriously crippled shoulders and chests. I'll be pleased when I can
get my machine back and sit up straight, rather than being bent up
double like a safety-pin.

I feel I had something else to mention, but
at 2.22 am it escapes my mind. So, for now, rant over. Thanks.

Brian