Re: [OM] (OM) Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Computers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 06:32:15 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> XP will get progressively less safe every month. It's mainly
>> corrupt/corrupted websites, and emails (apparently from friends)
>> which are the danger. XP would be very safe with no internet
>> access.
>
>My old laptop is still hanging in there, barely. I'm keeping it around
>just so I can run a couple of apps, which I haven't been able to get
>functioning on the newer machines yet. After April, if it is still
>working, it will go to a non-Internet mode and will strictly be
>operated locally. Everything else of age has already been migrated
>over to Ubuntu and is running specific apps.

     I haven't had much trouble with my laptop, except for the occasional
trojan horse viruses attached to photos from eBay and Facebook.  I got this
from a couple who had asked the local bogus self-proclaimed computer expert to
look it over for them.  He installed Win7 over WinXP and it never worked
properly after that.  Win7 would not work with most of my engineering software
or PageMaker, and wouldn't allow you to install RealPlayer.  After a month of
frustration I installed Linux on a separate hard drive and encountered even
more problems.  A local legitimate computer expert gave me a WinXP intallation
disk which upgrades from Win98/SE.  So, I installed Win98/SE and then the WinXP
upgrade and everything has worked fine ever since.

     A really nice aspect of WinXP is that you can run any software intended
for previous operating systems, from DOS to WinXP.  Win7 and above do not let
you do this, and it is therefore worthless.  Unless Microsoft will foot the
bill for suitable versions of my engineering software.

     I still write engineering utilities (now called apps) using Turbo Basic.
I don't need to be entertained, I just need to crunch numbers.  And my old
Atari 800 can do a better job as it has 10 significant digits whether you need
them or not.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson