Re: [OM] (OM) Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Computers
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:41:20 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      I came away from there with a sense of satisfaction and a new
>> restoration project in the back of
>>the pickup.  It took the edge of having learned the day before that a friend
>>had passed away last month.
>

>When I got my Cannondale MTB, I went into a major upgrade process.
>Over the next year, I replaced nearly everything with aftermarket
>parts. But, I kept nearly everything as it came off. So, if I ever
>decided to "restore" it, I could get it much of the way there without
>too much fuss. But, why? I upgraded everything for a reason. Oops.
>Forgot. I did scarf a per parts to another MTB that needed better
>components.
>
>I suppose the difference is that I consider my Cannondale MTB to be a
>lot like a race car. The value isn't in how it was when it was first
>built, but how current it is at any given moment. With exception of a
>few things that ended up dating it (head spindle, rear spacing), it's
>as current and valid as anything out there today. But, I did go to a
>lot of effort and expense to have things like custom wheels built and
>tons of research and dirt time put into perfecting tire selection.
>(Racing Porcs for the front are the best dirt/sand tire ever made.

     A good deal of my time is spent in understanding what components were OEM,
then finding them, and finally refurbishing them.  I have quite a few of the
more common parts for French bikes, such as Simplex, Huret, and Suntour
derailleurs, CLB, Mafac, Dia Compe, and Weinmann brakes, Lyotard and Atom
pedals, etc.  I have a couple of boxes of parts waiting for refurbishing which
I dig into when nothing immediate needs my attention.

     Not all of my bikes are restored to catalogue specs.  I have a 1984
Motobecane Super Mirage that I reduced to 19 1/2 pounds by making some
substitutions.  My goal was 20 pounds or less, but I did not want the
departures from OEM to be obvious.  Catalogue weight was 22 1/2 pounds, and
most of the weght reduction was using a Stronglight 1000 crankset instead of
the original Nervar.

     I recently acquired a 1984 Gitane Elite for just $50 and made some subtle
changes to improve the appearance and performance.  Despite the fact that is
was a low-end model in their product line (much better than their earlier Grand
Sport Delux), it still has the light weight and performance that you would
expect from Gitane.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson