Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 16:41:10 -0500
I try to keep it very simple.  Both computers have a pair of clone
drives which are cloned from time to time but each member of the pair is
done at a different time in case the source or destination drives later
show up with a problem.  The cloning software also does a bit-for-bit
compare to assure everything went well.  The first time I tried that it
showed the clone target drive (brand new) was bad as it could never pass
the compare test.

That takes care of the boot drive which also has all the emails and some
other important stuff which is more time sensitive than the OS and apps.
  Those files get backed up periodically to another drive which is also
the main image storage bin.  The image drive is then backed up
(normally, not cloned) to a pair of backup drives which are also done at
different times.

One of each of the two pairs of backup drives is always in a location
outside the house.  If my house blew up I might lose perhaps a month of
emails and images but I would otherwise recover pretty quickly.  Trying
to make it better than that is just too much bother.

Chuck Norcutt