Re: [OM] Linux security query, was: Nasty iOS and OS X security bug

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux security query, was: Nasty iOS and OS X security bug
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:11:03 -0500
At 2/26/2014 11:56 AM, Chuck wrote:

>However, this machine will be on a LAN with two Win7 machines and a
>printer attached to one of the Win7 machines.
>
>How is the Linux machine vulnerable across the LAN and how can I
>mitigate it?

Which linux? Ubuntu comes with a simple firewall installed: ufw.
With a few simple commands you can configure it.

The real danger is making sure the link to your bank has not
been hacked at some DNS server you have no control over.
If your router is hacked, anything is possible. What you need
then is a man-in-the-middle gun.

NoScript has a feature ABE that helps with some browser click jacking, etc
http://noscript.net/abe/ Described as a firewall in the browser.
I use NoScript for those feature but I allow scripts globally, otherwise
too many things break.

Wayne Sparanoid