Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:09:43 -0500
I clone the boot drive since everything involving the system software
needs to be in sync.  Cloning the boot drive makes a static image of
everything that's there... but at the cost of copying the entirety of
the drive when, perhaps, you only needed to copy 10%... if you knew the
right 10%.  It's just easier to do the whole thing and swap bad drive
out the clone drive in for instant recovery if its needed.

But images, emails, spreadsheets, other documents are pretty much
standalone.  But, insofar as they're not independent, there's another
file somewhere with the same change date.  Therefore, backing up with a
tool like SyncBack (looking only for those things that are new, deleted
or changed and copying just those items) will keep a backup drive up to
date.  I use only the "mirror" mode of SyncBack which is designed to
make the backup drive a mirror of the drive being backed up.

The same approach doesn't work for Windows files, probably due to the
structure of the registry. (perhaps the worst part of Windows)

Chuck Norcutt