Re: [OM] WiFi Viruses and 19th Century Link

Subject: Re: [OM] WiFi Viruses and 19th Century Link
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:38:14 -0600
>      Since the subject is somewhat open, I want to pass on some current
> serious problems that the coffee shop I usually go to is having with the WiFi
> provided by 19th Century Link (19CL).

I worked for them for six months last year. You certainly aren't
exaggerating. It was a time-warp. It was stepping back in time no less
than five years. (In August, they finally approved for use one
particular device that I first started deploying in 2001).

I don't work on the consumer side of the business. A few years ago,
when LTE was starting to come down the pike, the wireless carriers
were looking at new ways to get excessive amounts of bandwidth back
from the towers to their switching centers. I developed the techniques
for that based on a specific technology. It was very forward thinking
and totally unlike what everybody else proposed. In fact, it required
a HUGE sales job internally and was granted a limited deployment to
keep risk low. The only thing that saved it was when the VP of
engineering for the #1 network in the country saw my proposal and said
"Who is this guy and why the h*** isn't he working for us?" (Yes, I
got a promotion and raise out of that). Not only is my design now the
accepted standard within my company, but is the requested standard by
ALL of the major wireless carriers.

So, last year, I change jobs, taking another promotion, and went to
19CL. What a disaster. They not only were NOT doing it this way, but
let it be known that they had no intention of ever doing it this way
and you are an idiot for proposing it because now those stupid
wireless carriers keep asking for it and we won't deploy it. It
literally cost them 5X-10X to deploy it the way they did AND it wasn't
scalable nor upgradeable. Any major change on the customer side
required a wholesale forklift upgrade.

I took my promotion and came back. My goodness, I hope we never merge
with that company. Duck Dynasty is running the #3 telco in the
country. Mind-boggling.

AG