Re: [OM] IMG: Dried-in

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Dried-in
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 14:50:23 -0800
On 3/2/2014 1:30 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> What's the advantage of a double-bit?  Is it just more continuous time
> chopping before a sharpening break?

Single bit, with that heavy weight on the back, balances and moves differently.
Double bit, although a little lighter,
and thus doing less work from sheer weight, seems more like a subtle, flexible,
responsive tool, if those adjectives
apply to such an instrument.

Also more delicate, at least in my case. Cutting some hard, twisty, partially
dry eucalyptus, I managed to break a chip
out of one bit of the one I had. I don't do that kind of labor anymore, not so
much because I couldn't, but because I
choose not to.

Nowadays, I have two chain saws, both electric. I've never seen the point of a
gas saw for a modest size lot. One is
conventional and one on a long pole. The motor hangs behind the grip and
cutting power goes up the long, hollow pole via
a flexible, square shaft. A little awkward, but handled carefully and patiently
does wonders without a ladder.
Especially useful for those branches too big for a pole pruner on big
shrubs/small trees not stiff/sturdy enough for
leaning a ladder.

Cutter Moose