Re: [OM] Any advice on filters?

Subject: Re: [OM] Any advice on filters?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 20:39:14 -0500
I took my pricing from B&H but didn't pay attention to the grades.  Both
72mm circular polarizers were approx USD 130.

I just took a second look and I obviously didn't look close enough.  B+W
72mm circular polarizers go from $45 to $130 in 8 different price
levels.  Then there is the 9th level which jumps dramatically to $230.
There is only a single Marumi and it's priced at $130.

I would have a very difficult time trying to unwind the quality levels
here.  The Marumi claims to be "slim" at $130.  But B+W offers "slim"
filters at $45 and $93.  The $230 B+W claims to be an extra large
diameter to avoid vignetting.  If I want that sort of feature I think
I'd be tempted to use the $150 or $163 77mm versions with a step-up
ring.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt