Re: [OM] Still messing with flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Still messing with flash
From: Don Holbrook <donholbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 14:48:15 +0000 (UTC)
Japanese doll-4 (both of them) look the nicest to me.  I'm certainly not one to
give flash advice, but I do use Canon 540EZs (cheap & adjustable) for the
little work I do.  I do worry about the cord contacts tho........

----- Original Message -----From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>To: Olympus Camera
Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 13:07:43 -0000
(UTC)Subject: [OM] Still messing with flash

With cabin fever raging last weekend, I decided to photograph some of mywife's
Japanese dolls. She doesn't really collect them but her motherpassed them to
her at some point. There are also some kokeishi dolls (woodfigures) that a
friend of mine gave us when she was cleaning out herparents' things --
souvenirs from a trip to Japan.

Equipment: E-5 with Leica D 14-150, two T32s with Olympus dedicated NDfilters.

Setup: pretty simple. flashes equidistant from subject, flash on theright the
main light, fill ratio (1 stop) controlled by the ND filterdifference. The
flashes were not tethered. The main light was actually aslave (but I could have
easily done it the other way around). The filllight was off-camera, connected
to the shoe with a shoe cord.

Variants: there is one lit entirely by north window light and no flash.The
large kokeishi group is ambient lighting with bounced fill (off theceiling).

Personally, my favorite is the one without flash. :( The setup seemspretty easy
and effective to me, but controlling background is achallenge. I used colored
foam boards about half the time, which thenmakes shadows a factor. This one and
to the right:

C & C welcome. TIA.

Joel W.--