Re: [OM] IMG: Poland

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Poland
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 02:19:50 +0800
Tina,

I have never read a curve tutorial but I do have something to share:

- Curve itself is very simple, a positive "S" will increase the contrast, a
negative "S" do the other way round.
- You can divide the curve into a few segments, emphaysis (apply "S") on the
tonal range you wanted.

Since you can see the result on screen in real time, it is very easy to
learn. Curve not only affect the contrast it will also change saturations.

To use the curve for color adjustment is more complex, you will need to
adjust RGB curves separately and you may need multiple points on a curve.

Basically there are two ways to do color adjustment, the first one is by
visual and the second one is by reading the RGB values. I rely on RGB values
for precise adjustment and visual to detect anything odd. Actually, I don't
have very good eyes so I rely on my wife to do final judgement.

For visual, you need a good monitor. For non pro works, I think any IPS
monitor you purchase in recent two to three years should be okay. I'm just
using a $140 Viewsonic 23" IPS. As long as its sRGB mode is reasonable
accurate (gamma +/- 0.1) and have good contrast (>800) then I'm happy. I
don't calibrate my monitors as my old Spyder 2 pro only make things worse.

For reading RGB values, you need to accumulate experiences. With the help of
digital, it is much easier today. Just evaluate some digital shots, read the
RGB values of different human's faces, rocks, skys...etc. Put these in mind
then you can apply them for reference when adjusting an image.

Hope this help.

C.H.Ling