Re: [OM] Plumbing Shop Cat

Subject: Re: [OM] Plumbing Shop Cat
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:03:46 -0500
I like that one and it brought back memories of "Inderlied Hardware" in
Endicott, NY.  <http://zoggbros.com/2011-12-03/index.html>  The owner
died quite some time ago and it was finally put up for auction last
December.  I used to frequent the place as a young, first time home
owner in the late 1960s.  AFAIK there was no inventory system except the
owner's head.  If I went in and asked for a plumbing part he'd say:
"Follow me" and then he'd trudge up the narrow stairs with me in tow and
go unerringly to some dark cubbyhole in the back and retrieve the
correct part.  There are a lot of photos of the inventory here
<http://zoggbros.com/2011-12-03/photo1.htm> but they're quite small.

Also, your comment: "... Virgil doesn't know how to use a computer, and
doesn't want to know either." reminded me of some "problems" I've
encountered here lately trying to help the senior citizens with their
computer problems here in our 55+ community.  One was a case of
grandchildren getting together to get their 80+ year old grandparents an
iPad.  These folks have never owned or used a computer of any type,
don't have wi-fi at home, have a simple cell phone but no data service,
etc.  What were these "kids" thinking?  The other problems were of that
same sort... of computer gifts given back home, set up by the "kids" to
use a cable internet wi-fi service but without ever telling the
grandparents anything about what they did.  When the grandparents get
here with their device it doesn't work and they don't know why.

Finally, there's the woman who came to me for help after her husband
died.  He did all the computing including banking, etc.  Not only did
she not know anything about how to do that herself... she didn't even
know how to turn the computer on.  It can get interesting at times
around here.

Chuck Norcutt