Re: [OM] IMG: Welcome to Jordan!

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Welcome to Jordan!
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 01:56:30 +1030
On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 10:04:53AM +1100, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I'd rather think the best of people first, while also remembering that they
> are merely human too and that there are very few saints.
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > www.soultheft.com

I'm sure this is true, however, what bothers me (recently) is that the
cost to a person to stand for parliament in South Australia has
increased markedly (in the order of 670%) recently. Further to this, the
number of nominations required for someone *who is not a nominee of a
major party* to stand has also increased significantly (12,500%).

The reasoning behind these changes is "to prevent bizarre results, such
as at the last Federal election, where back-room deals allowed
candidates with a tiny number of first preference votes to win seats."
(those are the words of the legislators)... This sailed through the SA
House of Assembly and the Legislative Council with the support of both
sides of the house, with green and independent support.

I know how I see this (and I have to admit to a very jaded outlook).  :)

davidt