Re: [OM] Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] Computers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 10:31:30 -0500
I forgot to add that, since my first hard drive in (probably) 1986 I can
only remember 2 drive failures.  Both were soft failures in that the
drive was getting unrecoverable errors in some parts of the disk
surface.  One of these was actually a brand new drive which was
reporting such errors on first usage so never had any trusted data on
it.  The other was a very long time ago and I don't remember any usage
details.

On the other hand, I should add that  my internal and frequently used
drives are replaced about every three years as technology rolls along.
They probably don't get time to wear out.  The backup drives also get
replaced but only when I start to worry about technical viability, not
drive wear factors.

Chuck Norcutt