Re: [OM] Fringe photo tip #2625

Subject: Re: [OM] Fringe photo tip #2625
From: Marc Lawrence <ozlangur@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 06:51:00 +1000
On Monday, 3 March 2014, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And an acquaintance of mine would say the same about 'left-handability' -
> he had a lot of trouble for a couple of months after being bitten on the
> right by a crocodile. He developed some nice workarounds - use your
> imagination!

[firstly, sorry for the earlier empty reply]

The pain of raising my arms has alleviated, though it twinges fierce. But
it has mostly been made a moot point by an inability to leave the house
much, certainly not for photos. I had not anticipated (or had but had
studiously ignored) this recovery period. Codeine is your friend, but only
till it gets sick of your company, especially at 3am in the morning.

Yes, I am feeling frustrated and sorry for myself, with a nice line in
self-contempt as a solid backbone, but I have thought of a solution to my
"raise the viewfinder to my eye problem".

I've been looking at getting a collapsible hiking pole for a few reasons.
Although there are a few with camera mount adapters, I see Leki do one
where the adapter kit appears to fit the grips they put on a variety of
their poles (it seems to use the screw point the strap fits into). As the
X-E1 uses a standard cable release, and I have (admittedly in storage) a
longish one, I can see raising the camera on the pole to my eye with one
hand while using the cable release with the other - allowing me to keep
both arms lowered. Altering the settings while it's at eye-level won't be
done, but that's no big deal.

Okay, this is basically theoretical, but I just wanted to show I took my
own advice and did "think harder".

Also, I am going stir-crazy. Wibble giraffe icecream.

Cheers,
Marc
Snowy Mts, Oz