Re: [OM] IMG: Welcome to Jordan!

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Welcome to Jordan!
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 16:12:22 -0600
> I've blocked people because of radical political ranting that borders on
> "guy in a cabin in Montana with an arms cache", including my one uncle.
> They can deny it all they want, but a lot of the insanely violent
> ranting against our current president is racial. I'm not going to argue
> his policy one way or the other, but I can't remember this level of
> vitriol being spewed against any other president who wasn't
> African-American.

Oh, the last president got hammered pretty hard by his haters. And
let's not forget the absolute destruction directed towards Mr. Quayle.
THAT was a level of vitriol I hope we never see again. Granted, the
guy was only slightly more intelligent than a potatoe, but certainly
no worse than Bite me Biden. I agree that there is some racism
involved with our current president, but I think it's more of a case
of him being a liberal (sorry, but progressive doesn't apply--he's
just plain liberal) who doesn't have a clue how to play well with
others. There certainly is no denying that. But to blanket the
opposition as racists is exactly the same thing as calling everybody
who voted against McCain as sexists because he had Ms "I can see
Russia from my house" as his running mate.

You can't have it both ways, folks.

> As far as religion, I have my own faith, I'm comfortable with it.  I
> know other people with other faiths, and that's fine as well.  I also
> have a couple of friends who are either agnostic or atheist. To each
> their own.

Certainly. My thing has to do with hatred. If a person is hateful
towards others, he has no faith, he's just a hater. He'll use religion
as an excuse (or not if he's anti-religion), but I have no time for
such individuals. Funny thing is that these individuals usually have
no time for me because I'll call them out on it. Funny thing is that
nearly all religions are based on the aspect of loving each other, not
hating each other.

> But what really irritates me is that a couple of the atheist ones are
> militant about it...

Haters. I have no time for them.

> I realize there are Christians who are like that as well, and I also
> cannot deal with them.

People who claim to be Christians. The Christian faith actually has no
room for haters. Unfortunately, haters will find a form of religion to
justify their hatred and will frequently use Christianity as the
label.

> I have room in my life for both Faith and Science.

Exactly! That's why I find somebody like Ken Ham to be rather offensive to me.

> This is one of the big problems with the internet.  There have always
> been fringe nutjobs, but the internet now gives any fring nutjob with a
> smartphone or a computer a global platform to spew from.

It's been a long time since we've had a serious case of nutjob on this
list. I'm very thankful for that.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx