Re: [OM] Panasonic GX-7, was: DX 14-54 on MFT

Subject: Re: [OM] Panasonic GX-7, was: DX 14-54 on MFT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 22:35:02 -0700
On 3/14/2014 2:24 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
>> For
>> me it's moving much faster than usual and the 5D (even after 15 months
>> of the E-M5) is still my ergonomic favorite.  My fingers just fall
>> naturally to where they have to go on the controls without thinking
>> about it much and I still love that Tamron 24-135 as a great walk-around
>> lens.  I did the same last year after owning the E-M5 for only 2 months
>> but was mildly surprised when I chose the same now, a year later.
> A few days ago I spouted off on the E-M1 and how much better it is
> than the E-M5. Moose took me to task, asking for specifics. I believe
> that I don't have to dwell too deeply on the subject as Chuck's above
> comment says a lot.
>
> My A/B comparison of the E-M1 and E-M5 was very interesting. Without a
> comparative, the E-M5 seems to be mighty fine. In the land of the
> blind, the one-eyed man is king. But then you try the E-M1 and that
> silly grin crosses your face. Going back to the E-M5 gives you an
> "eeew" sensation.

So it's say 95% ergonomics that leads you to recommend the M1 over the M5. And
you assume, despite our many differences
in body and hand shape and size and other factors, that all of us would have
the same silly grin and "eeew" responses to
handling the two that you do.

> Several things come to mind as to why the E-M1 is so much more
> superior, ergonomically:
>
> 1. Better EVF. MUCH better EVF. The increased pixel count did the
> trick. We've finally reached the point of pixel-count sufficiency.

I, as so often admitted, am a viewfinder tramp. From OM-1 to the dim, tiny
tunnel of the 300D, I can see the difference
when I'm looking for it, but it disappears when I'm looking -through- to the
subject.

This is true of the E-M5, too - except for color rendition. Its red is
apparently crap, as things like fall foliage look
really flat through its EVF. I do wonder if the E-M1 is better.

... Whenever I get a new camera, it takes up about 800 pictures of intense
testing and learning before I feel comfortable using the camera in
anger (paying job). Anywhere from 1500-3000 before muscle memory kicks
in. I'm not sure the E-M5 really is up to the task of "muscle memory".

I'm out past 10,000 on mine.

I'm Five Moose