Re: [OM] Filters on eBay and elsewhere, the results

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters on eBay and elsewhere, the results
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:33:43 -0500
On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > They complain about attendance at cinemas being down.  While there are
> some
> > movies that definitely benefit from the big-screen experience, spending
> $30
> > on two tickets plus another $20 on a large popcorn and two drinks means
> we
> > only go to a theatre once in a great while.
>
> My biggest beef has to do with the audio mixing on so many movies
> today. The reliance on center-channel for voice is fine and
> everything, but I get a headache from all the switching between stereo
> or surround imaging to the sudden and abrupt center-channel dialog, in
> which the center-channel is never loud enough for proper balance.
>
> "Can YOU do any better, Mr. Blowhard?"
>
> Actually, yes.
>
> Right, Paul?

I'll agree with that.  And a lot of surround mixing is just too damn loud.
There's "impact" and then there's "you've made my ears bleed".  And the one
theatre in town had faulty surround channels for a couple of years - every
time we tried to go there to support the locals, it was like listening to a
single speaker behind the screen.  Much better last time, but I agree.
Sometimes, just because you can make a sound show up in 14 different
places, you shouldn't necessarily do it.

Same bitch I have with a lot of today's CGI-based action films.  Just
because you have the technology to have 15,897 things spinning around and
moving all over the frame, maybe you should step back and think if you
actually should.

And I'm looking at YOU, George Lucas.

--

Paul Braun