Re: [OM] Panasonic GX-7, was: DX 14-54 on MFT

Subject: Re: [OM] Panasonic GX-7, was: DX 14-54 on MFT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 14:50:46 -0700
On 3/15/2014 1:52 PM, ozlangur@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> On 16 Mar 2014, at 1:44 am, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The 20/1.7 would be a close-run thing for this particular situation.
>> Sustituting 20 for 25mm means moving closer to maintain the same
>> relative fields of view.  ...
> Is the new Olympus 25/1.8 an option worth considering?

Kind of a different fish. It's larger and heavier, with a conventional profile.
It has more elements and good initial
reviews. The Panny is a pancake, older design, fewer elements but many
excellent reviews and a proven success with users.

Might just come down to focal length, 50mm eq. vs 40mm eq. Then if yo don't
worry much about size, weight or price,
there's the excellent Panny 25/1.4, with even more DOF control.

I've mostly used my 20/1.7 where I need speed for dark conditions, not for DOF,
and in those circumstances the last
little bit of IQ is seldom visible.

I also have the Oly 60/2.8 macro, which is tack sharp at normal distances, as
well, and faster, more DOF control than
the zooms at 120mm eq.

Focal Lengthy Moose