Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard....

Subject: Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 13:25:32 -0700
On 3/16/2014 12:02 PM, Daniel Sepke wrote:
> My apologies to the international members...
>
> ... there are likely 1000's of permutations of sales tax rates in the USA.
> tens of thousands, I think. They are often impossible to calculate with a zip
> code, sometimes following county lines.

Yup, my zip code crosses a county line; on one side, The City of Berkeley, on
the other the Kensington Service District,
which is not legally a city, but provides police, fire and other services and
building and zoning controls to people who
legally live in an unincorporated county area. They also levy property taxes,
but no local sales taxes of their own,
although the school district they are in does. Complicated enough? :-)

>   In my experience only business that asks for my county is UPS, not even
> Amazon appear to ask.

If they have your address, they can know everything they need to collect all
the appropriate taxes. Amazon collects
sales taxes here that include local levies for city and special districts.
Asking for county is old school.

Taxable Moose