Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard....

Subject: Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard....
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 07:33:45 +1100
Don't apologise, unless…
At the moment Blurb is charging me 10% GST (VAT) for books delivered to
Australia - tax they don't have to charge me as there is an exemption for goods
and products of services valued at under AU$1000 including shipping - though
the government will take it if you pay it and will not refund. The exemption is
a rather informal arrangement - they can't be bothered with the expense of
collecting the mostly small amounts.
Blurb is quite obdurate about doing it, claiming that their lawyers tell them
it is required. Objections hit brick wall thinking. Dumb, expensive and
irritating. FedEx used to do the same thing in the past, but have now stopped -
but at least they were trying to screw me for brokerage fees. Greed is easier
to understand than idiocy.
I think my next step is to demand proof from Blurb that they are remitting the
tax to the Australian government.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com