[OM] Does anyone understand the ND filter selection here?

Subject: [OM] Does anyone understand the ND filter selection here?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 08:09:37 -0400
Brian posted this link from Phase One recently
<http://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-Software/Capture-One-Pro-7/Tutorials.aspx?openpopup=yes&url=www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx1Q0MGK3_0&utm_source=Apsis&utm_medium=Software_eblast&utm_content=mainimage&utm_campaign=w1214_software>

The video is in 2 parts (capture & post-processing) and my question only
pertains to part 1.  The photog takes a landscape photo using a 10 stop
ND filter combined with a variable ND filter and throughout the process
he speaks of reducing the contrast in the scene.  He also mentions using
a long exposure to blur the scudding clouds.

I don't recall the exact number but I think he ended up with a daylight
exposure of about 45 seconds.  I understand the use of the variable ND
filter to reduce the brightness of the sky but I don't understand the
use of a 10 stop ND filter.  Clearly the 10 stop ND filter is
responsible for the very long shutter speed but why so long.  It seemed
to me that the clouds were moving fairly briskly and that such a long
shutter speed wouldn't be required to simply blur the clouds.

It there some other reason for using that 10 stop ND filter that I don't
know about?

Chuck Norcutt